Sunday, October 30, 2011

Total Prankonic Reversal: Part 1


This blog war with my sister Elisa has taught me some important lessons about the nature of relationships and the fragility of humanity, especially my own. It is too easy to forget the impact an action will have on someone's feelings when focused on 'winning', an irrational notion in itself considering pranks. A couple of days ago I tried to prank Elisa. Not only was it another udder failure, I ended up pranking myself in the process. It was a complete backfire. You may ask how one accidentally pranks oneself. As Egon said, when you cross the streams, you get total prankonic reversal. When you cross the line, rational thinking is left behind. So, what are the characteristics of prankonic reversal?

Any prank has a desired emotional outcome, the primary being embarrassment, as a result of misguided fear, anger, joy, etc. Funny how deconstructing it in this way reveals pranks to be the dirty little deeds they are. Anyway, a failed prank elicits an unintended emotion, the most dangerous being sadness... And so part one of the story begins.

The Prank Premise:
I planned to secret two-way radios in Elisa's van and house. With another radio I would then create sounds, ultimately mooing, into Elisa's unsuspecting world.

Prank Facts:
Three radios eventually infiltrated Elisa's domain, one in the van and two in the house. Each was set to a different radio frequency. The forth I kept with me and could change it's frequency to communicate with the other three independently.



Prank Method:
The hardest part of this idea was getting the radios in place. I enlisted our older sister, Julie, to plant a radio in the van, and our mother to plant two radios in Elisa's house. Julie would ask Elisa for her opinion on  a Master's thesis she is writing. While Elisa reviewed the document in Julie's house, I would be outside planting the instrument in the van. Our mom would call Elisa and ask if she could visit. While there, our mother would place two radios in the house.

Nothing would go as I had planned. Check back tomorrow for how it went at Julie's house.

8 comments:

  1. I'm withholding my comment until I read part 2.

    All I have to say now is NYAAH, NYAAH!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Did you change the layout, header, and background? It looks fabulous.

    B. That Ghostbusters picture is awesome.

    III. I can't wait for tomorrow.

    Also, Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did it involve pretending to be a god? Because you know:

    "Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!"..haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joshua, Are you making fun of an engineer's propensity to make lists? Shame on you. We list makers will one day take over the world. And now, I must put you on The List. The background's been like this for awhile, I think. I'll have to check my completed, dated chart to make sure.

    Pat, Great quote. It was exactly what I was trying for with this prank, and failed miserably.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely NOT making fun. Not of engineers, at least. I make lists every morning for the day, and I do it the above way because it throws people off.

    But I can stay on the list as long as it's a good list. If it means you mailing me a package that might explode with whipped cream, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to do a double take on your numbering nomenclature, but liked it. I'll have to try it out on the people over here in robot land.

    ReplyDelete

Click on Middle Damned to see My Book